Recent (necessary) dietary changes for Emi resulted in unwanted weight loss. Due to her abundant allergies and limited food options I was temporarily at a loss on what to feed her to help put some fat back on her quickly. Thankfully her allergy test showed no restrictions on peanut butter or quinoa so I had an idea…
Here’s the best, gluten free, high fat treat a dog could ever want. She LOVES them, and I have to admit to sneaking one myself they smelled so good!
*Cautionary note – We’ve struggled for a long time with Luca being overweight and are always on the lookout for low fat treat options (more on recent revelations on the cause of this soon). This is NOT a low fat dog treat option!
Now the bonus part – they are SUPER easy to make!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 16 oz jar of peanut butter (*Make sure your peanut butter contains only peanuts, even some of the “healthy/organic” brands slip in palm oil, salt or soy (boo!). I like Meijer Naturals All Natural Peanut Butter – just one ingredient: peanuts!)
- Overcook the quinoa – you want this super mushy to the point where you can’t tell one seed from another so don’t follow the normal cooking instructions. Use about 4 cups of water and after bringing to a boil simmer for about 45 minutes. Keep an eye on it, you may need to add extra water to keep it from drying out.
- Add the whole jar of peanut butter and stir well, should be a rather thick consistency.
- Scoop into a mini muffin pan, no need to grease the pan because the peanut butter provides plenty of oil.
- Bake on 250 for about 2.5 hours until the goopy mixture hardens up enough to easily remove from the pan
- Cool completely before serving
Makes enough for 36 large treats.